Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Story


Out of all the projects we have done so far in this class, this one had the most possibilities. Almost every form of art or media has a story behind it. So I started thinking of what displays a message or tells a story the most. The first thing that popped into my head was, "a picture is worth 1000 words". At first I though I would just take a picture that had a lot of meaning behind it. So I started looking at photographs that have been meaningful to me to come up with some ideas. Then I came across this picture of two homeless teenagers holding a gun. They explain the reason to them having a gun as to defend themselves if the need came. This just kind of seems ironic to me. Why would two young teenagers need a gun to defend themselves? If anything I would think that it would get them into more trouble. Basically they are making themselves a target for violence or even death. So I took all the meaning in this photograph and tried to display it in a drawing. I started by painting a target for the background. Then I placed the kid with a gun in the center of it. This symbolizes the results of his actions. If he is going to be carrying around a gun on the street then all he is doing is making himself a target for someone else with a gun. To me I see this as a root of violence on the streets. If someone sees another person with a gun the first thing to pop in their head is that that person could be a threat to them and some self defense may be necessary. So if a problem arose that could have been solved by words may now turn into a violent fight.



No comments: